After cooking, the “porridge” can be spooned into a loaf pan and refrigerated. Orange essential oil or orange juice/zest aids in digestion
SERVES 6 TO 8
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon Ceylon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cups certified gluten free steel cut oats, rinsed
- 1-5 ounce can coconut cream
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup combination dried golden berries, dried cherries or other dried fruit
- Optional: Orange essential oil
- Soak oats overnight in plenty of water to cover and for oats to expand.
- In large saucepan melt coconut oil. Add all spices and stir to combine.
- Add coconut cream, steel cut oats, water and dried fruit. Bring to low boil stirring occasionally. If using, add a few drops orange essential oil and stir into porridge. Cover and let cook for 12-15 minutes stirring occasionally. May need add additional water.
- While steel cut oat porridge is warm, spread in a 9×5-inch loaf pan. Smooth top, cover and refrigerate. Porridge will congeal similar to polenta. After the loaf has cooled it will be firm and easy to slice. Slice and heat by sautéing, or in toaster oven.