Gluten-free, allergy-friendly pesto, packed with nutrient-dense ingredients turns this dish into a creamy and delicious entrée. For more protein stir a can of rinsed garbanzo beans into the pesto before tossing with “pasta”. Allow one medium sized zucchini per serving. Zucchini should be about 1-1/2-inch/2-4 cm in diameter (do not use thin, baby zucchini).
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1⁄2 cup raw and unsalted seeds: pepita (shelled pumpkin seeds), sunflower seeds or combination
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free, chickpea miso
- 1⁄4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 cups kale, stems removed, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup fresh parsley, packed
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Spiralize zucchini using a spiralizer, blade C; discard the central core of seeds; cut “pasta” into shorter lengths with clean scissors or knife. Optionally, cut a horizontal slit in the squash, not quite into the middle and spiralize; this makes half-moon shaped pasta.
- May use zucchini “pasta” raw or gently cook zucchini by either baking or sautéing. Bake: preheat oven to 400° F/205° C, place zucchini pasta in a 39cm x 27cm x 2cm (15.5″ x 10.5″ x 1″) baking pan; toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and bake for 4 minutes. Immediately remove zucchini from pan, drain and place in large serving bowl. OR Sauté: in a large skillet, add zucchini and 1 teaspoon of olive oil, sauté over medium high heat for 2 minutes. Remove from pan and proceed with recipe. Cooking zucchini pasta will extract water from zucchini so it is important to drain if using cooked zucchini pasta.
- PESTO: In a food processor or blender, combine seeds, garlic, miso and lemon juice and blend until seeds are pureed. Add kale, parsley and basil; pulse until chopped and incorporated.
- Add avocado, additional oil and puree until smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Toss “pasta” with pesto; fold in raw cherry tomatoes and serve.